Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Last Thoughts on Thailand: 7-Eleven's, How I hate Roosters, and A Fancy Dinner

The last few days have been a bit hectic. I finished off my advanced certification and caught a boat back from Ko Tao to the mainland, and then a 7 hour bus ride back to Bangkok. Although I had good luck going down, coming back was not so fun. It was during the day, so I could not sleep through the whole trip. Also, I was stuck on the lower level of the bus, right next to a Swede who hand not showered in a few days. So, that was a blast.

As a wallow away my final hours in Bangkok, a few minor quarks about Thailand will always stick in my mind:

Thailand is chock full of 7-Eleven's. No, really. Every town I went through, big or small had one. Unfortunately, no Slurpee's.

Also, if you want people to quit smoking, putting pictures of people with huge facial tumors or in the throws of dieing from lung cancer on the front of the packs really helps. Trust me.

Transvestites here are really convincing. They put the NY ones to shame. Apparently, most take hormones and have their adams apple removed. Its enough to frighten you off Thai women for life.

Roosters suck. You get all of these wonderful loony-toon visions of roosters waking up people on a farm for a hard days work. Unfortunately, when they are crowing repeatedly at 5 in the moring when you are trying to sleep off a Chang-over (a particularly nasty hangover caused by drinking too much Beer Chang), they start to get on your nerves. I usually have a strong desire for fried chicken the next day.

You can find anything in Bangkok. Iron Man DVD? Got it. Illegal Computer Software? 2 for 1. Armani knockoff suit? Hand tailored my main man. Fake International Press Pass? Just bring a passport photo.

My final dinner in Bangkok was at this wonderful place called Eat Me. Amazing meal at Thailand prices. Did a very interesting thing with ham and melon by adding a sherry based sauce. The whole meal was amazing.

Anyway, Bangkok has been a blast, but its time to head to Bali. Will write shortly.

No comments: