Thursday, May 8, 2008

The Japanese stole my Single Malt and the (thankfully) missing cows

Well, here I am, all alone in Bangkok.

First, the flight..
I had to fly through Tokyo, with a nice 3 hour layover for sushi and beer. Unfortunately, I didn't know that you could not bring Duty Free from America onto a connecting flight and I had picked up a nice bottle of Single Malt on my way over. It was either give it up or go through customs and then have the bottle (by itself) checked as a bag. I think that 40 bucks is not to much to pay to avoid customs, so now some Tokyo airport security officer is drinking my scotch.

I feel like an idiot.

Besides that it was your standard 24 strait hours on a plane cramped between crying babies and old Japanese men snoring.

After landing in bangkok, I hopped a cab to Koh San Road, the main backpacker drag. Needless to say, it is a lot like the main backpacker ghetto in Delhi, except for a few, key differences...

1: Large quantities of booze, and the drunk people the usually accompany it.
2: A lot cleaner.
3: The touts are much less pushy.
4: The absence of cows.

You have to understand, the 4th point is a big deal. The Indians let the cows run wild, and they end up eating all the plastic bags lying around. This tends to kill them, leaving rotting Cow carcases all over the place. Not pleasant at all.

Anyway, you could see Koh San coming with the presence of Europeans everywhere, and then suddenly your on something that is like a mix between a Hong Kong back ally and the Vegas Strip. Drunk people everywhere, food stalls selling all manner of goodies, neon signs painting everyone lurid shades of green and pink. After finding a place to crash for the night, I went out side for a beer and crispy pork wantons. I had a nice conversation with a pack of Swedes, who were telling me about their exploits up in Cambodia. From what I hear, although a little wet, it is a blast up there.

I, however, am heading south first. The next few days will be just adjusting to the time change and checking out the sights. I think by Monday I will try to hop a train south to the islands.

No comments: