Sunday, June 1, 2008

Surf's Up, Mate

So many Aussies. If I hear "mate" one more time I will start throwing bottles. I would love to see an Australian and a Canadian get into a fight:

"I'm not your mate, buddy!"
"I'm not your buddy, mate!"
(Please see South Park episode about Canada on Strike for the reference)

Kuta, in Bali, is beautiful. The climate is similar to Florida: 80 degree weather with not too much humidity. Tropical plants, great surf at the beach, and good restaurants everywhere. Also, like the Thais they leash their cows.

Things are ridiculously cheep too. A Bintang (the local Beer Chang here) costs around a $0.85. A nice hotel with a pool, AC, hot water and cable TV goes for less than $20 a night. Dinner might set you back $3.50.

So basically, when Ft. Lauderdale fills up, expect to hear Yiddish spoken here.

The one really annoying thing about Bali is there love of bad american music. It's just that a lot of restaurants tend to think that bringing in a band is a draw. However, when said band is butchering a Third Eye Blind tune while your trying to eat, and it gets a little annoying. Switch that an Evanescence song, and you just might want to go find a coconut to throw.

I support upcoming musical talent, just not when I am trying to eat.

I tried surfing a few days ago. Lots of fun, if I could just learn to stand up. It was great exercise though, you really feel it in your chest the next day. I am actually getting a nice tan here, something rare for me.

I am off to Ubud in a few days. It is up in the jungle about an hour and half away from here. Known as a center for Balinese arts, it is suppose to be very relaxing. Woodstock in Bali?

Off to the beach, see you later.

1 comment:

Becca said...

i just got an image of grandma, grandpa, the shuffle board....and a cow with a leash....

sounds like you are having a blast!