Monday, May 19, 2008

Gary's Bar and the Animal Kingdom in my Bathroom

Friday night was my last night at The Sanctuary, although there was not much sleeping involved. Every Friday there is a large party up the beach at this place called Gary's Bar, where the music goes until around 8am, and it is so loud that even if you wanted to go back to your room and sleep, you would be kept up by the music. I went out with a bunch of people who I had met, and it was a pretty good showing, with the usual Ko Pha Nang fire spinners and neon painted dancers. I ended up leaving around 4am, to sleep two hours before I started packing.

On an side note, I might not have mentioned that the Sanctuary is really in the back end of beyond. Like, in the jungle. This leads to a lot of interesting animal life that tends to hang around the premises. The first night I was there, the usefulness of my mosquito net became very apparent. As I am so tall my feet stuck out the end of it, I woke up with feet covered in bites. I learned to curl up in a ball after that.

The family of lizards living below my hut were quite nice. They had sticky fingers that they used to run up and down the walls of my bungalow on a regular basis. The biggest one was over a foot long.

But in the craziest things always ended up in my bathroom, which was out behind the bungalow. Always there was some type of bug running around. They sprayed the entire area for Mosquito's the day after I arrived, and this caused a mass genocide of little moths lining the floor. At first I thought they were leaves, and then I was thankful that I was wearing flip flops. One morning I went to the bathroom to find a very large spider sitting on my toilet seat. I sprayed it with the shower head and off it went. The last morning I was there I was greeted by a bullfrog the size of a softball.

The Sanctuary was very relaxing, but I am off on Ko Tao now to try SCUBA diving.

No comments: